The City of Radford Magistrate Office operates under the supervision of the Department of Magistrate Services within the Office of the Executive Secretary of the Virginia Supreme Court. Magistrates are judicial officers of the Commonwealth of Virginia and are not associated with law enforcement agencies. One of a magistrate’s principal functions is to provide an independent, unbiased review of complaints from law enforcement officers and citizens to determine if there is probable cause for criminal charges. Magistrates may conduct hearings in person and through designated video conference systems.
In addition to determining probable cause for criminal charges, magistrates may also:
- Issue search warrants;
- Admit to bail or commit to jail following an arrest;
- Issue mental health and medical emergency custody orders and temporary detention orders;
- Issue emergency protective orders;
- Accept prepayment of fines and court costs for certain traffic and misdemeanor offenses; and
- Issue civil warrants and order pre-trial levies and seizures in certain circumstances.
Hours and Directions
The Radford City Magistrate Office is served by magistrates at the New River Valley Regional Jail, located at 108 Baker Road, Dublin, VA 24084. The telephone number is 540-643-2009. This office is open twenty-four hours a day, 365 days a year. No appointment is necessary. Magistrate services for Radford citizens may also be accessed by contacting the Radford Department of Police at 540-731- 3624, or at 20 Robertson Street, Radford, VA, 24141.
16 N. Franklin St.
Christiansburg, VA 24073